Beware of Scam
The U.S. Department of Education recently posted an advisory on its website about several scams that are hitting social media. You might see these scams on Facebook, Instagram and other social media sources. These scams claim to offer loan forgiveness or repayment services. They seem too good to be true…and that’s because they are.
The Department has sent “cease and desist” letters to these unscrupulous scammers who are victimizing students across the country.
Please do not respond if you receive on of these notifications. We do not want you to become a victim of these scams. Here are some steps you can take to avoid being victimized:
- Do not share any personal information with anyone you do not know
- Do not share your credit card information
- Do not respond to, follow links, or “like” any posts that might be a scam
- Do not accept new “friends” or “followers” on social media from one of these scammers
- Do not call or contact any numbers or links that might be on these posts
- As always, be careful on the web and social media