Goal Setting: Finding Your Path and Sticking to It
Guest Blogger Courtney Donadio, Director of Career Services
Congratulations on setting a goal! As a future professional in the beauty and wellness industry, you have chosen wisely to embark on a career that has unlimited potential. So, what’s next?
• Define your goal: While the end result is important, it’s even more important to define your goal in the “big picture” sense. What are the steps you should take to reach your goal?
- Defined your personal style and what that means to you in terms of where you see yourself?
- Researched potential employers?
- Visited the community you envision your dream job in?
- Defined your budget and an income that will sustain you during the first year of employment?
• Break your goal down into smaller, more achievable immediate goals.
- Write down your goals
- Arrange them in order of importance. What works better for you-knocking out the small goals or tackling the difficult ones?
- Perfect each piece of your goals as you go along to mark your progression.
• Be a solution-based person. While it is a huge attribute to be able to recognize problems, it’s even more important to be a part of the solution. An employee who has suggestions for how to make reasonable changes that benefit a company on the whole is a very valuable employee.
• Anticipate challenges.
- What will you do if you are presented with a challenge?
- Do you have a backup plan?
- Who can you call for sound advice and emotional support? Select people who support your goals.
• Celebrate your success! Try to celebrate something you have done to reach your goals EVERY DAY. Being a success isn’t always about the end result. The journey is equally as important. If you choose to celebrate some measure of success every day, you will feel a greater sense of purpose and accomplishment along the way.
“It’s important to have specific dreams. Dream Big. Dream without fear.”
— Randy Pausch