The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is used to assist with the costs of your education. Eligibility is determined on the basis of your financial need as established by the government.
We have outlined an overview to help you navigate through the online application. You can start this application now to help expedite the process of finding out what you qualify for when you meet with our financial aid representative at Bellus Academy.
STEP 1: DETERMINE YOUR “DEPENDENCY” STATUS
If you answer “YES” to any of the following, you’re an “Independent Student” (and you’ll need documentation).
If you answer “NO” to all of the following you’re a “Dependent Student”
- Were you born before January 1, 1997?
- Will you be working toward a Master’s or Doctorate degree?
- Are you married or separated but not divorced?
- Do you have children who receive more than half of their support from you?
- Do you have dependents (other than children or a spouse) who live with you and receive more than half of their support from you?
- Are you currently serving on active duty in the U.S. armed forced for purposes other than training?
- Are you a veteran of the U.S. armed forces?
- Were you in foster care at any time since turning 13?
- Were both of your parents deceased by the time you turned 13?
- Were you or are you a ward or dependent of the court?
- Are you homeless or at the risk of being homeless?
STEP 2: APPLY FOR YOUR FSA I.D.
- The username and password you create is how you will sign into all Department of Education websites and access your Federal Aid records.
- If you’re a “Dependent Student” (as determined in step 1), a parent will also need to create an FSA I.D. for themselves.
Bellus Academy school codes:
- Poway: 016644-00
- El Cajon: 012026-00
- Chula Vista: 007050-00
- Manhattan: 016644-00
STEP 3: COMPLETE ENTRANCE COUNSELING
- Go to www.studentaid.gov and sign in with your FSA I.D.
- Complete Entrance Counseling.
- All students are required to complete this before receiving financial aid.
STEP 4: COMPLETE YOUR 2022-2023 and 2023-2024 FAFSA
Print out the confirmation page once you complete it.
STEP 5: MEET WITH OUR FINANCIAL AID REPRESENTATIVE
- You’ll need:
- FAFSA confirmation page (from step 4)
- You and your parents 2019 and 2020 recent tax return information
- ID (Driver’s License; Passport; Military ID)
- High School Diploma/GED (unofficial transcripts are OK)